- Now We Can All Go Home: Three novellas in homage to Chekhov, November 2014. BkMk Press (Kansas City, MO.)
- Café Deux Mondes. Ploughshares Solos, 2014 (ebook from Kindle Singles; Audible, 2015). Ploughshares Omnibus 3, 2015.
- Secret Lives, stories. Dzanc Books, rEprint Series, 2013. Originally published by Southern Methodist University Press, Dallas, TX, 2003. Winner, Best Book 2004, from Missouri Writers Guild.
- The Heart, a feuillet, 1996. Helicon Nine Editions (Kansas City, MO).
- The Clay That Breathes, a novella and stories. Dzanc Book, rEprint Series, 2013. Originally published in Minneapolis: Milkweed Editions, 1991.
“Departures.” New Stories From the Midwest 2016, Ed. Lee Martin. New American Press, 2016.
"Cafe Deux Mondes." Ploughshares Solos Omnibus, Volume 3. Ed. Ladette Randolph. Ploughshares/Emerson College, 2015.
"The Incident.” Kansas City Noir. Ed. Steve Paul, Akashic Books. Ltd., October 2012.
"The Altar." The Broken Bridge: Fiction from Expatriates in Literary Japan. Ed. Suzanne Kamata. Berkeley: Stone Bridge Press, 1997.
"A Lesson in Sounds." Exposures: Essays by Missouri Women. Ed. Sara Morgan. Kansas City, MO: Woods Press, 1997.
"Tigers." American Fiction, Number 1. Ed. Michael C. White. New York: Birch Lane Press, 1990. Prizewinner.
"The Enterprise." Gardening the Skies, the Missouri Bienneial Anthology. Springfield, MO: Southwest Missouri State University, 1988.
"Accept the gifts of fortune without pride, and part with them without reluctance." --- Marcus Aurelius